Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Son of a beach, Dr. Beach overlooks my beach


"Dr. Beach" Stephen P. Leatherman recently came out with his 2009 list of the top beaches in the U.S. He ranked Hanalei Bay on the island of Kauai in Hawaii as No. 1 this year.
As others have noted, he really should call his list "America's Best Saltwater Beaches." Leatherman, director of Florida International University's Laboratory for Coastal Research, ignores some incredible beaches on the Great Lakes. I'm most familiar with the beaches along Lake Michigan in Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin.
My favorite is Gillson Park in Wilmette, Ill., where I live. It has beautiful views of the North Shore, the north suburbs of Chicago. Nice sand, plenty of stones for skipping, clean water, gentle dunes with natural tall grasses and shade trees nearby.
Leatherman has been doing his top 10 beaches list since 1991. Visit his Web site here.

1 comment:

momotwo said...

Forget the beach... That child is literally the most beautiful creature I've ever seen!

Boy, would I like to meet his daddy....