Friday, July 17, 2009

Tech-media-tainment moving headquarters from Chicago to Connecticut


The publisher of Tech-media-tainment is moving the operations of this respected catchall blog from Chicago to Connecticut in early August.
The staff isn’t too pleased with this move, having grown to love Chicago. But we’ve decided to go along with it. We’re team players.
The move will be a cultural adjustment. The new headquarters will be in New Canaan, Conn., which is one of the most affluent communities in the U.S. I like to say that the extra “a” in New Canaan is for “affluence.” (CNNMoney.com ranked it No. 1 in the nation in 2008 with the highest median family income.)
Moving from Chicago to New Canaan, Conn., will mean trading Mike Ditka for Martha Stewart, “The Blues Brothers” for “The Stepford Wives,” the Chicago School for the Harvard Five, Bill Murray for Katherine Heigl, “The Devil in the White City” for “The Ice Storm,” and Sears for General Electric.
Compared with Chicago and its North Shore suburbs where I live, New Canaan and Fairfield County, Conn., seem more like the sticks. Admittedly I haven’t visited the area, but from my research it looks like it lacks the amenities to which I’ve grown accustomed. (Abundant fast-food restaurants, shopping malls and movie theaters, professional sports teams, etc.)
Though I’ll miss Chicago, I’m looking forward to exploring Connecticut, New York City and New England.
If Tech-media-tainment starts taking on a snooty tone, let me know.

Photos:
Mike Ditka
Martha Stewart

No comments: