Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Meet the average blogger – Me!

I am pretty close to being the average blogger, based on a recent survey.
Technorati’s “State of the Blogosphere 2009” says this about today’s bloggers:
• Two-thirds are male
• More than half are married
• More than half are parents
• The majority are more affluent and educated than the general population
• 75% have college degrees (40% have graduate degrees)
So far that fits me.
The report also says that 60% of bloggers are 18 to 44. At 47 years old, I don’t fall into that group.
Technorati also says the average blogger has three or more blogs and has been blogging for two or more years.
I’ve been blogging for a year and have two blogs – Tech-Media-Tainment and One Stop Video. So again, I’m behind the curve.
The survey, in which I participated, also noted an increasing overlap between blogging and mainstream media. Technorati says 35% of respondents have worked within the traditional media as a writer, reporter, producer or on-air personality. That includes me. By contrast, less than 1% of the U.S. labor force is employed as a journalist.
I’m right in the middle of the pack in terms of updating my blogs. Lately it’s been about three or four times a week, but I hope to get back to once a day.
Sadly, I’m pretty average when it comes to unique visitors to my blog every month. The majority of survey respondents (49%) get less than 1,000 unique visitors a month. I’ve been averaging about 500 for my main blog.
See the full Technorati report here.

No comments: