Wednesday, May 4, 2011

My first tick of the season

Spring has officially sprung in Connecticut. The telltale sign? I've killed my first tick of the season.
Connecticut is overrun with ticks. Lyme Disease, one of the illnesses ticks can transmit, takes its name from Lyme, Conn., where some of the first cases of the disease were documented.
On Friday night, I was sitting at my desk in my home in New Canaan, Conn., when I felt something tickle my ear. I brushed my ear and a tick fell off and landed on my desk. I promptly killed it with a screwdriver.
I didn't go crawling through the brush that day or do anything really outdoorsy. I walked around the yard with my kids a bit. That's it. The tick must have attached to my shoe and climbed up my clothes until he reached my head.
Nasty bugger.

No comments: