Wednesday, July 5, 2017

There’s a hall of fame for everything

Readers of Tech-media-tainment know that I’m interested in the proliferation of halls of fame for sports, entertainment, aviation and other pursuits.
In February 2016, I put together a Google map showing all the halls of fame you can visit in North America. At the time, the map had just over 300 halls of fame. (See Halls of Fame on Google maps.)
The map now has more than 370 halls of fame.
It could have many more, but I decided not to add halls of fame for individual high schools. Those halls of fame are usually limited to a wall of plaques and maybe a trophy case. On the other hand, I am adding halls of fame for colleges and universities.
Since I published my first listing of halls of fame I’ve added such oversights as the International Gymnastics Hall of Fame in Oklahoma City, Okla.; the National Speedskating Museum and Hall of Fame in Milwaukee; and the National Track and Field Hall of Fame in New York City.
Plus, I’ve added such curiosities as the Florida Citrus Hall of Fame in Lakeland, Fla.; Purina Animal Hall of Fame in Toronto, Ontario; the National Fitness Hall of Fame Museum in Minooka, Ill.; and the International Lineman’s Museum and Hall of Fame in Shelby, N.C.
Most people know only about the big halls of fame like the Baseball Hall of Fame and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but there are halls of fame for just about everything.
Many more halls of fame are under development, some set to open soon and others more pie-in-the-sky fantasies.
I’ll cover those in upcoming posts.


See roundup of previous posts on the subject:

Halls of fame: a review of physical and virtual halls (March 12, 2016)

No comments: