Sunday, April 1, 2018

‘Star Trek: Discovery’ on CBS All Access: Binge watch, then cancel

On my spring vacation last week, I signed up for a free week of CBS All Access, streamed all 15 episodes of its big-budget exclusive series “Star Trek: Discovery” over six days and then canceled the service.
I’ll probably sign up for a month of service when season two is finished sometime next year, binge watch the show and then cancel again.
There’s nothing else on CBS All Access that interests me. Besides, I already get more than enough programming from Verizon Fios TV and Netflix. Plus, I have Amazon Prime, but I never get around to watching their video service.
Judging from Twitter commentary, I’m not the only one who canceled after watching “Star Trek: Discovery.” The science-fiction franchise has a loyal following, but most aren’t going to stick around and watch lawyer drama “The Good Fight” and reruns of old sitcoms.
This is probably going to happen a lot in the current over-the-top internet video market. People will sign up for a month to see a show or two, binge watch, cancel and move on to another service. Unless a service has a deep bench of content, subscribers aren’t going to stick around.






No comments: