Monday, July 9, 2018

Netflix dumps consumer reviews for algorithms

Internet television network Netflix doesn’t give users a lot of context for its video recommendations.
The streaming video service presents movies and TV shows for users to watch based on their past viewing behavior and what similar subscribers like.
Years ago, when it was exclusively a DVD-by-mail service it would encourage users to write reviews, make lists of movies by type, and connect with other users via Facebook. But gradually it discontinued those features.
On July 2, Netflix informed DVD-by-mail subscribers that it is retiring its review feature on July 30 due to declining usage. It’s not surprising that usage of the feature has declined because Netflix has downplayed it for some time.
I haven’t written a review for Netflix in nearly eight years, so I’m not really broken up about the change.
Unlike the Netflix streaming service, the DVD service still allows users to rate a film or TV show on a five-star scale. Netflix replaced that feature on its streaming service about a year ago with a less accurate rating system of thumbs up or thumbs down.
I like the five-star system because it allows me to prioritize movies in my queue that I’m more likely to love vs. ones I probably won’t.
On the streaming side, the best Netflix can offer is a “percentage match.” The higher the percentage, the greater the likelihood that you’ll enjoy a movie. But these percentages don’t show up on “My List” of saved movies and TV shows. So there’s no way for me to quickly scan for programming that I’m more likely to favor. Assuming Netflix's algorithms are accurate, of course.
Often, I’ll check review aggregators like Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic to gauge whether a flick or show is worth watching. But Netflix is cranking out so many new shows and movies that the reviewers can’t keep up.
That’s fine with Netflix. It would rather promote its movies with own descriptions and trailers without outside opinions factoring in.

Related articles:

How many Netflix DVD subscribers are there? (May 18, 2018)

Ode to the Netflix DVD rental queue (May 8, 2017)

Netflix’s new thumbs-up, thumbs-down reviews are worthless (May 6, 2017)

R.I.P. Netflix Friends, 2004-10 (Sept. 4, 2010)


No comments: