Monday, April 26, 2021

Many movies likely skipping DVD release as physical format fades


At the height of the DVD era, you could count on just about any movie or TV show being released on disc. Now as the entertainment industry shifts to streaming video services, many movies are skipping DVD releases.
The “Saved” queue on my Netflix DVD account has 34 movies from 2020 and earlier listed as not available and with no scheduled DVD release.
Ten of those movies are from 2000 and earlier. They’re likely out of print and the copies Netflix had were probably worn out and taken out of circulation. Meanwhile, many of the newer films on my “Saved” list likely won’t get a disc release.
My “Saved” queue only contains movies that Netflix has added to its database. I’m tracking many more that aren’t on DVD in my Reelgood list of “Want-to-see movies.”
And these are only movies that I’m personally interested in seeing. There must be quite a few more that don’t interest me that aren’t on DVD now as well.
The many movies and TV series being made for streaming services probably will never be put out on disc.
This trend can’t bode well for Netflix’s legacy DVD-by-mail service.
In fact, the number of movies in my “Saved” queue (56) now outnumbers those in my queue of movies that are available for rental (52).
Media reports last week indicated that Warner Bros. plans to phase out DVD and Blu-ray releases beginning in 2022. However, others have disputed those reports. (See article by Movieweb and related commentary.)
High-profile movies likely will continue to get disc releases, but others will probably be streaming only.

No comments: