Monday, June 19, 2023

Reelgood is a great website, but here’s an improvement I’d like to see


My favorite website for locating movies and TV shows I want to stream online is Reelgood.
I use it mostly to keep track of films and TV series I’m interested in watching. Reelgood tells me if the content is available on my subscription services, free services or elsewhere.
I have set up watch lists on the service for movies I want to see and TV shows I’m tracking.
I also can mark which movies I’ve seen and which episodes of TV series that I’ve seen. This is important. Because when you’ve seen as many films as I have, you sometimes forget if you’ve seen a particular movie.
I can name two movies that I’ve sat all the way through in the last year or so, not fully realizing that I had already seen them. They were familiar, yes, but I had to check my viewed lists on separate services to confirm. (By the way, those movies were “The Reef” (2010) and “A Walk Among the Tombstones” (2014).)
Unfortunately my viewing lists are spread out across numerous services. I would love to see Reelgood find a way to import those lists into its database. I can envision Reelgood users opting in to have their viewing lists and ratings imported.
Reelgood could start with Netflix’s DVD-by-mail service, DVD.com, which is ending its 25-year run in September. Netflix currently is allowing members to download their DVD rental history and ratings in a “personalized PDF.”
That data is not that useful sitting in a static PDF document. It would have much more utility if added to the Reelgood database.
If that’s successful, Reelgood could move on to other services such as Internet Movie Database (IMDb) and Rotten Tomatoes.
Come on, Reelgood. What do you say?

Photo: Promotional art for Reelgood’s AI assistant. (Reelgood)

No comments: