Thursday, November 6, 2008

Netflix thinks I'm gay


OK, I like musicals and Marilyn Monroe movies, but that doesn't mean I'm gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Online DVD rental service Netflix seems to think I swing that way, based on members' Top 10 movie lists it has selected for me. Five of the 20 lists it chose for me today on the Community page were gay themed. Netflix says these lists were picked for me based on my queue and ratings.
Just because I loved "Moulin Rouge" (2001) and "West Side Story" doesn't mean I'm going to like movies described as "Gay eye candy." And the fact that I like the music of New Order and Kylie Minogue doesn't mean I'm going to enjoy "LGBT Film Shorts."
How many Bruce Willis and Clint Eastwood movies am I going to have to watch before Netflix understands me better?
Netflix is putting a lot of effort into improving its automated movie recommendation engine. Hopefully it will add some of that computing intelligence to the relevance of its Top 10 list recommendations too.

1 comment:

momotwo said...

This new blog is cool. I hope it continues!