Wednesday, December 3, 2008

McDonald’s Happy Meal toy drives me nuts

The other night while driving my mini-van, I had a sassy black woman in the back seat making comments whenever I turned a corner or made a stop.
I couldn’t see her, but she kept saying, “Let’s go,” “I know that’s right” and “Alrighty, boys.”
Turns out it was a McDonald’s Happy Meal toy.
Specifically it was a plastic figure of Gloria the Hippo from the DreamWorks animated film “Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa.” When switched on, it’s a motion-activated talking toy. Shake it and it cycles through three lines of dialogue from the movie spoken by actress Jada Pinkett Smith.
Gloria the Hippo is one of eight motion-activated talking toys tied to the movie that McDonald’s is giving away with Happy Meals from Nov. 7 through Dec. 4.
McDonald’s has given away talking Happy Meal toys before, but usually you have to press a button or move a character’s arm or head to make it talk. The insidious thing about the Gloria the Hippo toy is that it’s rounded thanks to the character’s pear-shaped body. And that makes it perfect for rolling around on the floor of a car and talking on its own.
I finally located the toy under one of the seats. For my own sanity, I had “to move it, move it.”

No comments: