Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Tech-media-tainment turns 10

Tech-media-tainment – a blog covering personal technology, media, pop culture and entertainment – marks its 10-year anniversary today.
The blog is still a catchall for my personal interests, which have evolved over the last decade. I hope readers have found the subject matter interesting over the years.
One constant has been my support for freedom of speech and specifically the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.
The First Amendment has come under attack by political groups who want to narrow its scope by including exceptions for so-called “hate speech” and some forms of political speech. Thankfully the courts have held firm on the broad protections for the First Amendment.
For free speech to survive, we as a people must be willing to accept speech that we disagree with or find offensive. As my favorite T-shirt reads, “Free Speech More Important Than Your Feelings.”
Other major topics of interest for Tech-media-tainment include the importance of the public domain and abuses of copyright.
I’ve also written a lot about halls of fame, Donald Trump magazine covers, revisionist Disney princess art, post-apocalyptic entertainment and the proliferation of lying clickbait.
Unfortunately I’ve cut back on my blogging activity this year as I’ve been busy with other things.
I’m on pace in 2018 to post my lowest full-year article count since I started Tech-media-tainment.
Maybe I should pick up the pace a bit.

Photo: T-shirt from Libertarian Country.

No comments: