Saturday, June 22, 2019

Poof! More disappearing websites

From time to time, I like to give a shout-out to websites that I find useful, informative and entertaining. But as the years pass, a lot of those websites have stopped functioning or gone private. Their content is no longer publicly available.
My collection of “favorite websites” provides a good test sample to study the impermanence of content on the internet.
Between August 2009 and May 2018, I spotlighted 325 websites of note. Of those, 62 are no longer available. That’s 19% of the websites I wrote about.
The further back you go, the worse it gets. Of the 250 websites that I spotlighted between August 2009 and March 2015, 56 are no longer available. That 22% of the websites.
In November 2017, 40 of those 250 websites were no longer available, or 16%. So, in the last year and a half, 16 more websites have disappeared.

Photo: “Disappearing Boardwalk” by Justin Kiner via the Creative Commons.

No comments: