Sunday, August 1, 2021

Netflix is taking away the ability of subscribers to reorder their streaming lists


For organization freaks like me, Netflix’s announcement that it is taking away the ability for people to reorder their streaming watchlists is a disappointment.
Last week, Netflix posted an announcement at the top of the My List function on its website. It reads, “It’s time to say goodbye. Beginning early September, you will no longer be able to manually order titles in My List. Titles will default to automatic ordering.”
This isn’t a huge surprise to me because the reordering function has been broken for over a year. Users have been able to move titles lower but not to the top of the list. I complained about this to Netflix in February 2020, but I received no response.

Still, I have been able to do some reordering. For instance, I put all the series I’m interested in watching together at the bottom of My List.
The Amazon Prime Video watchlist, called My Stuff, automatically separates movies from TV shows into separate tabs. Netflix needs to do that as well. And Netflix also should add a tab for documentary movies and series, too. I ended up creating a separate user account for non-fiction programming on Netflix.
When Netflix switches to “automatic ordering,” I hope it makes some sense such as alphabetical order. Otherwise, it’s just going to be a crazy jumble.
My guess is that Netflix will try to use algorithms to present the content in a ranking of what it thinks you’d like to watch next.
I add a lot of movies and TV series to my watchlist – many of which I’ll probably never view. I like to have a wide selection of content I’ve preselected to choose from, depending on my mood.
If Netflix takes the crazy jumble approach, I’ll probably delete a lot of titles for simplicity’s sake.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yet another reason to lose more users. Why do they keep making these sites worse and worse? Don't even get me started about Youtube...........

Unknown said...

This is ridiculous. Lots of other streaming services you can find shows, even some here on Netflix. Yet another reason to drop them. What nincompoop came up with this? Did they hire Trump?

Wiz said...

Did they even check to see if customers choose from the top of their list? I’d like to watch what I’d like to watch, not what an algorithm suggests. Stupid idea.

Unknown said...

Hate this idea I would like to know where the shows I watch the mode are instead of them always being reorganize for me every time I login it doesn't matter as much with Power Rangers now since they removed half of the seasons but it was always nice to keep those in season order.