Saturday, November 14, 2009

I Am Bored: A collection of funny, weird and amazing photos and videos

When I’m killing time on the Web, looking for something to amuse me, I often turn to I Am Bored.
I Am Bored is an aggregator of Internet memes, videos, photos, lists and games. It’s a hodgepodge of funny, strange, entertaining and occasionally informative stuff.
I Am Bored is run by Demand Media Inc. of Santa Monica, Calif.
The site is updated daily with new links. But the editor or editors aren’t very discerning. So you have to sift through a lot of stuff to find things of interest. Still there’s a lot worthwhile there.
I Am Bored could use some improvements.
Most notably, it’s poor with sourcing its material.
Take the photo above. (See it at I Am Bored here.) It’s a picture of a pretty girl and a captured hammerhead shark. I’d like to know when and where the photo was taken and other details about the subject matter. But I Am Bored doesn’t help you there. It doesn’t provide sources for a lot of its photos. They could be years old or from some Photoshop competition for all you know. Lots of people would like to know more about these images.
Also, I Am Bored isn’t very well organized and its content is hit or miss.

March 22, 2014, update: I believe I’ve located the origin of the photo of the woman and the hammerhead shark. It is from Mark the Shark who runs a charter fishing operation in Miami, Fla. The photo appears to date back to August 2004 and is posted in his picture gallery. (See larger version below.) By the way, this photo has been widely circulated and uncredited on many websites, including the Chive and Stew Pig.

Editor’s note: This is the latest in a series on Tech-Media-Tainment’s favorite Web sites.


No comments: