Sunday, December 2, 2018

Netflix show cancellations point to limits of ‘peak TV’

Three months ago, I wrote about how the “peak TV” era is delivering way more new shows than a video fan like me has time to watch.
Among Netflix shows, for instance, there are currently 21 TV series in my queue that I intend to watch, but haven’t gotten around to yet. They include “Chilling Adventures of Sabrina,” “The Innocents,” “Dark” and “Ozark.” I also have unwatched seasons for four Netflix series that I’m following.
This fall and winter, Netflix cancelled three shows based on Marvel comic book heroes: “Iron Fist,” “Luke Cage” and “Daredevil.” Before each of their cancellations, I had not yet watched the most recent seasons of those shows, but fully intended to at some point.
Viewership numbers for those shows reportedly had declined. Maybe a lot of viewers are struggling with peak TV problems like I am.
I’m worried that more shows I follow will be canceled unless most fans watch new seasons in the first week or so of their release.
Over the summer, I discovered a science-fiction series that I really like called “Travelers.” I binge-watched the first two seasons of the Netflix show and was glad a third season was in the works. Season three of “Travelers” premieres on Dec. 14. I’ll be streaming that show that day, for sure.
It’s only a matter of time before I discover a show I love that’s already been cancelled. That was the case years ago with “Firefly.”
I’m also behind on watching shows from HBO, Amazon Prime and cable TV channels.
Next year will bring new streaming channels from Disney, WarnerMedia, Apple and others. They’ll add to the “peak TV” viewing dilemma.

Related articles:

Drowning in video in the age of ‘peak TV’ (Sept. 4, 2018)

Netflix Has A Promotions Problem, And It's Only Going To Get Worse (Forbes; Nov. 26, 2018)

Why Is Netflix Giving Up on Its Marvel Series? (The Ringer; Nov. 30, 2018)

Saturday Night Live Trolls Netflix Originals With Parody Commercial (Screen Rant; Dec. 2, 2018)

Photo: Netflix science-fiction series “Travelers.” (Netflix)

No comments: